Friday, February 15, 2013

#2: Say something disparaging

In a conversation with a co-worker today, I found the perfect opportunity to pick up on Hipster Challenge #2: Say something disparaging.

Now real me actually likes this guy. Hipster me hates everything. The conversation ran along these lines:

Co-worker: My daughter went to see this play.... I can't remember the name of it now...
Hipster me: Mhm. I've probably heard of it.
Co-worker: Anyway, she loved it. Although she had a hard time with some of the language. Do you know that she hasn't even studied any Shakespeare?! I tried getting her to read Crime and Punishment...
Hipster me: I love Dostoyevsky...
Co-worker: She thought it was slow; it took her a while to get into it.
Hipster me: I just think that there are some 'classics' that really shouldn't be a part of the English Literary cannon. There are way too many texts on that list which are just too modern for my taste, especially American Lit.
Co-worker: uh, I guess so...
Hipster me: But like whatev

Like I said before, I like this guy, and I'm new at this whole hipster thing, so I changed the subject onto something a little less heavy for a Friday morning - gluten free cupcakes. All in all I don't think I did too bad, although I did come to a realization. I care way too much about hurting people's feelings and coming across as obnoxious and self-absorbed. I need to practice in the mirror my "I don't give a crap" face, along with convincingly saying "I love your jeans" so that it seems sincere, but really means 'Those are from American Eagle, aren't they?'

For today I'll leave you with this:

"Maybe our favourite quotations say more about us than the stories or people we are quoting."
                                                                                                                   - John Green

No comments:

Post a Comment