Saturday, March 2, 2013

#15: I liked them better before they went mainstream

"Oh I love this song!"

The radio cranked up, and a handful of paint sodden teenagers began singing away to Rihanna.

"Have you heard her new one?" some one else asked.
"You mean 'Stay'? It's alright. What's the name of that guys who sings with her?"
"I think it's like Mikky or something."

No-one knew. Hipster me couldn't resist. I'd been saving this one up for just this occasion.

"Mikky Ekko. Yeah, he's pretty good. I liked him way better before he went mainstream though."

I had no idea what I was talking about. I only knew about the song because Nathan thought 'Diamonds' was a collaboration between Ke$ha and Ri (it isn't by the way) and we had stumbled across it as a result of our YouTubing escapades.

I did a little more digging and found out Mikky Ekko is not an up-and-coming Scandinavian artist, as his name may mislead you to believe. No, he is a hybrid hipster/pop artist who is American (of all things!) and has been around for a few years now. I bestowed this wealth of absolutely plagiarized knowledge onto my tween audience (thanks wikipedia), most of whom tuned me out and kept singing along.

"Like Diamonds in the sky!"

I guess that's what happens when you start convincingly acting like a hipster. People tune you out eventually. I received a rather backhanded compliment today though. I over heard some grade 8/9 kids talking about me in the canteen. Who am I? I'm 'That hipster teacher' - yes!

Apropos for this evening:

"My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations." - John Green, The Fault in our Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment