Monday, March 11, 2013

#22: Write a poem

Partly because of my angst about daylight savings, and partly because I was in Winnipeg today, I decided to write a poem. It combines all of those things we love to hate about both this time and place. I call it "Ode to Winterpeg":

I remember clearly the first time we met,
Your beauty and splendor I'll never forget,
Your boisterous charm oozed from each pore,
Which at the outset I could hardly ignore.

The years have gone by, and we are still here,
The insufferable cold which I cannot compare,
As February dragged on your spell was broken,
So please take my poem as a small token.

You are a white hot mess.

With makeup smeared and dress torn,
You tiptoe away into the dawn,
You glitter and sparkle at terrible cost,
To awake to your flamboyant and trashy whore frost.

All I am left with now is the hack
Of that dreaded 2am Big Mac
Which seemed like such a good idea at the time...

You are a white hot mess.

But you are my white hot mess.

So I'll hold back your hair as you bark,
Up every wrong tree after dark,
And when Summer comes, and the turning lanes end
(seriously, when will they finish fixing Osbourne!?)
Then we can go back to being 'just friends'.

You are a white hot mess.

Final thought for today:

"Sitting around miserable all day won't make you any happier." - John Boyne, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas


No comments:

Post a Comment