Tuesday, March 19, 2013

#25: Make a bracelet out of a fork

Easy.

So recently I have been spending A LOT of time on Etsy trying to find Nathan a really cool gift for his birthday. Something that is clearly handmade so I can pretend I made it for him, but actually well made so that he knows I didn't. Instead, I have found a bunch of things that I want, but don't necessarily need. Like vintage jewelry. And swirly straws.

One thing I stumbled across is something which was very popular back in highschool. Forklets - a bracelet made out of a fork. Nostalgia came rushing forth, along with grand delusions of starting up a fad from 12 years ago, just so that I could say that I was wearing forklets before they were cool.

Mmmmm. No such luck. My strategy was flawed. Here was the plan. I have a left over bit of 2x4 in the basement, a hammer, and a fork I got from the thrift store.

*side bar* A word of warning - people will look at you strangely if you buy just one fork from the thrift store. Why a fork? And why only one?

So basically the plan was to just smack the heck out of this fork until it was flat, and then bend it into a bracelet. so after an hour of hammering away, I had a slightly misshapen utensil, a broken fingernail and a hubby more concerned with his hammer than me.

The line up

So there we have it folks. Another attempted challenge thwarted by the guardians of true hipster living. I guess the 'fake it til you make it' strategy isn't working out so well for me. Time to try Plan B....







Busted!



Until next time...

"You forget what you want to remember, and remember what you want to forget."

 - Cormac MacCarthy, The Road

No comments:

Post a Comment